API 5L PSL1 Grade B seamless steel pipes
API 5L specification is for welded and seamless steel pipe for pipeline transportation systems petroleum and natural gas industries.API 5L are divided into two product levels:API 5L PSL1 and API 5L PSL2.PSL1 is a standard quality for line pipe where PSL2 contains additional chemical,mechanical properties,and testing requirements.Grades covered by API 5L specification are A25,A,B and “X” Grades X42,X46,X52,X56,X60,X65,X70,X80.The two digit number following the “X” indicates the Minimum Yield Strength (in 000’s psi) of pipe produced to this grade.
1.Chemical composition of API 5L PSL1 Grade B seamless steel pipe
|Steel grade||Mass fraction, based upon heat and product analyses a (%)|
|max. b||max. b||max.||max.||max.||max.||max.|
|L245 or B||0,28||1,20||0,030||0,030||c,d||c,d||d|
- a:Cu ≤ = 0.50% Ni; ≤ 0.50%; Cr ≤ 0.50%; and Mo ≤ 0.15%
- b. For each reduction of 0.01% below the specified maximum concentration for carbon, an increase of 0.05% above the specified maximum concentration for Mn is permissible, up to a maximum of 1.65% for grades ≥ L245 or B, but ≤ L360 or X52; up to a maximum of 1.75% for grades > L360 or X52, but < L485 or X70; and up to a maximum of 2.00% for grade L485 or X70.,
- c. Unless otherwise agreed NB + V ≤ 0.06%,
- d. Nb + V + TI ≤ 0.15%,
2. Mechanical properties of API 5L PSL1 Grade B seamless steel pipe
body of seamless and welded pipes
|Weld seam of EW,
SAW and COW pipes
|Yield strength a
Rm MPa (psi)
(in 2in Af % minimum)
|L245R or BR L245 or B||245
- a. For intermediate grade, the difference between the specified minimum tensile strength and the specified minimum yield for the pipe body shall be as given for the next higher grade.
- b. For the intermediate grades, the specified minimum tensile strength for the weld seam shall be the same as determined for the body using foot note a.
- c. The specified minimum elongation, Af, expressed in percent and rounded to the nearest percent, shall be determined using the following equation:
- Axc is the applicable tensile test piece cross-sectional area, expressed in square millimeters (square inches) , as follows
- Where C is 1 940 for calculation using Si units and 625 000 for calculation using USC units
– For circular cross-section test pieces, 130mm2 (0.20 in2) for 12.7 mm (0.500 in) and 8.9 mm (.350 in) diameter test pieces; and 65 mm2 (0.10 in2) for 6.4 mm (0.250in) diameter test pieces.
– For full-section test pieces, the lesser of a) 485 mm2 (0.75 in2) and b) the cross-sectional area of the test piece, derived using the specified outside diameter and the specified wall thickness of the pipe, rounded to the nearest 10 mm2 (0.10in2)
– For strip test pieces, the lesser of a) 485 mm2 (0.75 in2) and b) the cross-sectional area of the test piece, derived using the specified width of the test piece and the specified wall thickness of the pipe, rounded to the nearest 10 mm2 (0.10in2)
- U is the specified minimum tensile strength, expressed in megapascals (pounds per square inch)
Haihao Group has more than 30 years experiences for professional supplying of piping system products,like seamless steel pipes,welded steel pipes(ERW,SSAW,LSAW steel pipes),galvanized steel pipes,casing steel pipes,butt welding pipe fittings,forged pipe fittings and flanges products in China.If you want to know more about our products,please email us:email@example.com