What is the difference in ASTM A53 and ASTM A106?
The difference between ASTM A53 pipe and ASTM A106 pipe in spec scope,pipe chemical composition, mechanical properties (tensile & yield strength etc),pipe type.
- ASTM A53 is Standard Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and Seamless.
- ASTM A106 is Standard Specification for Seamless Carbon Steel Pipe for High-Temperature Service.
Applied Type of Steel Pipe
A53 can be welded seam or seamless depending on how it is specificed for purchase.It is a general steel pipe spec and covers galvanized pipe as well as black pipe.
A106 is a similar pipe in chemical composition but is intened for high temperature service (up to 750 Degs F). It is a seamless pipe.
At least in the US, there is usually A53 for welded pipe while A106 is seamless. If you ask for A53 in the US they will quote A106 as an alternate.
For example when we compare between A106-B and A53-B seamless from chemical composition point of view, we find that :
- A106-B contains silicon, min. 0.10% where A53-B has zero%, and silicon is the important element for improving the heat resistance criteria.
- A106-B contains manganese 0.29-1.06%, where A53-B 1.2%.
- A106-B contains low sulfur and phosphorus, max. 0.035% where A53-B contains 0.05 and 0.045% respectively.
A53 Pipe vs A106 Pipe – (4) Mechanical Properties
|Grade A||Grade B||Grade C|
|ASTM A53||Tenside strength, min, psi (MPa)||48000(330)||60000(415)|
|Yield strength, min, psi (MPa)||30000(205)||35000(240)|
|ASTM A106||Tenside strength, min, psi (MPa)||48000(330)||60000(415)||70000(485)|
|Yield strength, min, psi (MPa)||30000(205)||35000(240)||40000(275)|
Other difference for A53 Pipe vs A106 Pipe
Because they have different scope and specify different type of steel pipe, then the manufacturing process and required quality control test and inspection will be different to each other. Leave a comment if you have specified opinion.Email:email@example.com